Windows "app" losing new note data regularly, changing to any other note or setting can lose data you've entered
I reported this a month ago. They've done nothing.
I am using the windows "app", adding new data to a new note, saw this last month when I went to settings to change font size, I return to the note and the note pane is empty. The note listing column still shows the note. It still shows the text entered into the note in the preview below the title but the note is empty. The web shows the note but the preview and note have lost the data. Kind of looks like it saved the name and maybe first line to the cloud then after I put in a page worth of into it goes to synch and syncs the cloud down over what I have locally and local is lost except that the preview line still shows the data. So it is there somewhere in the local copy but you can't display or reach it. Nimbus had me comparing with cloud and version history hoping I could find it hiding somewhere. We could not. They eventually just stop responding to my email replies indicating they need to fix this BIG FAT DEFECT. Data loss is not acceptable. Period.
I have tonight had this happen again. This time I just left one new note, went to look at another note, returned to the new note and once again, it appears like the preview in the notes column thinks what I've entered is there but the note pane is close to empty. I actually this time has one line. The one line matches what is in the web/cloud version which is why it appears to me that they are writing the cloud version over the local version.
I still as this moment can sit here and the web has one version, it has matched that with my desktop but the preview in the notes column shows the other information I added which nimbus has LOST.
Web version history shows only one version of the data and it has one line of text in it.
I can't keep using a tool which loses data. I can deal with a lot of defects but not of this kind.